Individuals can help protect children by keeping eyes and ears open, being alert to signs that all is not well, and by acting on any concerns you might have.

If you are worried about how well a parent or carer is coping with their child or children, you can offer help. You can ask child if they’re okay, or talk to a teacher, a nurse or health visitor.

If you’re worried but it’s not appropriate to offer help or ask if everything’s okay, you can ask for support from your local council’s social services department or call the police on 101.  If you think a child might be in immediate danger you should contact the police right away by dialling 999.

It’s always better to say something than do nothing.